Sunday 8 July 2012

The Olympic Torch Comes To Chelmsford

Friday evening saw the arrival of the Olympic Torch in Chelmsford. 


I had managed to get tickets for the finale of Sparks Will Fly which is an event that has been taking place all over Essex in Celebration of the Olympics.


 Dad even got involved, helping the tea lady with her trolley :)

It was a fantastic evening filled with all sorts of entertainment.

Live Bands

Street Entertainers

 & Marching Bands

We didn't actually stay for the finale itself.  If I'm honest we had got ourselves into position, after seeing the red devils we were looking forward to what was to come, only as soon as it started we left along with a lot of other people.  A rather disappointing end to a great evening.

A fantastic display.  It was amazing how they managed to stay so close together.

Saturday was then an early start to see the torch leaving Chelmsford for it's journey to Harlow.  It was setting off at 7am.  We hadn't thought many people would be up that early to see it but how wrong we were.  It was a great turn out and the streets were lined ready to see the torch.


It was so lovely to see everyone getting involved, it's just a shame really it doesn't happen more often.





After the sponsors had warmed up the crowds the torch arrived.

Such a great thing to be a part of.  It still has to pass through james' home town so I hope to be able to see it there too.

Has it passed through your hometown yet or is it still to come?

Love Gem x x x x

6 comments:

  1. I saw it last week in Aldeburgh and despite getting soaked whilst waiting it was worth it - the torch bearers just looked like they'd burst with pride :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's passing my nan and Grandads house later in the month so hoping to see it then! Looks like fun : )

    Gemma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel was there too Playing clarinet with her school band I had the very muddy job of dropping her off and picking her up from the pick up/drop off point. You you managed to get some lovely photos of the the torch bearer. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gem,

    Thank you for your kind comment on my blog! The event your town organised over the passing of the flame looks like fun. I wish I could have been there to see it all!

    Have a nice week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's coming by my school after the end of term but I'm not sure if I am around! I am, however, going to watch the Open ceremony dress rehearsal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Torch rallies are so exciting! We took the kids out of school to see it go through our town in 2010 before it travelled onto Vancouver. Hubby and I will be in London in a few weeks - right when the 2012 Games are on. I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete