Monday 23 July 2012

The Olympic Torch Comes To Dagenham

Yesterday saw the Olympic torch pass through Dagenham, which is where James is currently living.  I was keen to see it pass, and to be able to compare the atmosphere to that in Chelmsford.

Needless to say it was very different.  I was lucky to see the kissing of the torches this time, it was literally right in front of where we were standing, we didn't know this was going to happen here so had positioned ourselves quite well.


Again my favourite part was the sponsor's coming through first of all and warming the crowd up, although at almost 11am we didn't need warming up, temperatures were getting pretty high already.  




We saw some break dancing on the mini roundabout which came as a surprise after his Dad dancing. 


The atmosphere in general was good and everyone seemed in high spirits.


But people soon began pushing and shoving through the crowds to get to the front, which seemed unfair to those that had actually bothered to get there early to get themselves a decent spot.  They needn't have bothered as they were soon at the back of the crowd and then unable to see.  Especially when you then get people who have pushed their way to the front and then decide to put their child on their shoulders so you really have no chance of seeing anything.  I managed to get all my photos while leaning over said parent with child upon shoulders, it got to a point that I really didn't care that I was pushing people.  It's not in my nature to be this way but I won't stand there being pushed and shoved, I will give as good as I get!

~ Gem x

2 comments:

  1. Oh that's such a shame! We are going to see our friend carry the torch tomorrow in Finchley - I really hope it's not the same! How early did you get there? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks suspiciously like Gale Street.

    Unfortunately, you're always going to get a few people who think they can just psh their way to the front. Glad to see you gave as good as you got :)

    Ruby x

    ReplyDelete