Saturday 21 July 2012

Stonehenge

It seems like months ago that we visited Stonehenge.  To see this landmark was on my bucket list, so I quite literally begged James for us to do a little detour on our drive down to Cornwall.  We left early that Monday morning, we were on the road by 5am and managed to reach the site by 7.  It was so peaceful.


We weren't able to get very close as the site doesn't open until 9, but we were able to see all that I had wanted to see.


It's amazing to think of how it got there and how it is still standing today.  If you had of asked me a few years ago I probably would have replied saying it is just a bunch of rocks, which in fairness it is, but I'm able to appreciate it a lot more now and am so glad I have had the opportunity to see it.


So that's another thing crossed off the bucket list.  Two things within one week, well that can't be bad.

~ Gem x

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to go and see Stonehenge one day. It does look amazing. I really enjoyed seeing your pics xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was much, much younger I visited Stonehenge with my parents, and in those days we were actually able to get right up to it, and climb on the stones! Its now only about 15 minutes from where I live, Wiltshire is a wonderful county for ancient relics, there's lots more to see besides Stonehenge, if you make it back this way again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Joy - I just read your comment and I was going to write something very similar. My sister and I also went when we were around 13 years old and you could climb and sit on the stones then - I have old black and white photos of us there! What a coincidence.

    We also visited Salisbury Cathedral which is magnificent and I do believe we actually slept on Salisbury Plain in either our camper van! Probably not allowed these days either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stonehenge was one on my bucket list/life list. I managed to do it last year and it was amazing, so atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd recommend a return visit during either the Winter or Summer Solstice as you can go into the stone circle which is quite an experience. Winter time is probably better as it is less busy. You don't get a true feel for the size of the stones from the road. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete