Friday 22 January 2016

Things You Should Know About Keeping Chickens

OK so I know chickens aren't the most popular kept kept animal, but trust me once you have them you won't regret it.


 There are so many things I have learnt since we started keeping chickens 2 and a half years ago, I thought I'd hare some of them with you today.

They are addictive. No matter how many you get to begin with.  You will always want more.


They each have their own little personalities.  I just assumed chickens would be very much the same as each other and impossible to tell apart but this is certainly not the case.   

They crap everywhere and a lot.  The first ones in the morning are the worst, definitely watch out for those!


You will want to buy anything or will be bought everything that has chickens on it.  All of a sudden we seem to have notepads, door mats even a bucket.

They can be noisy.  Don't get me wrong it isn't usually for long, but if they want something, you will know about it.


Chickens like to dig.  We seem to have a lot of craters about our garden now where they have dug down, once they've done this they like to get right into it and have themselves a little dust bath, quite amusing to watch.


They can be quite bullyish towards each other which to begin with can be upsetting but it is just their way.  It's where the saying the pecking order comes from, they're fighting it out for the position of top dog (or in their case top chicken).


They are amazing animals to keep and if you decide to keep chickens I can assure you, you won't regret it.  The fresh eggs are pretty great too.  Maybe I should have added that as another point, you will never want to buy eggs from a supermarket ever again, they are just not the same.

Seriously though I have learnt an incredible amount about chickens and looking after them, it is one of the best decisions myself and James have made since moving to out little countryside cottage and when we move to our forever home we will definitely be getting more.

~ Gem x

8 comments:

  1. It is one of the things that I would love to do, keep chickens but we also like to travel so it is not a possibility right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a downside. Fortunately we have good friends and family who have always stepped in if ever we go away, to take care of them for us. Without them we would be stuck though x x

      Delete
  2. My mum used to have chickens and it was my little sisters job to look after them. She used to sell the eggs to our neighbours :) One time we put a goose egg in with them and she came running back like OMG LOOK HOW BIG THIS EGG IS!!! So mean but so funny hahaha

    My brother also has chickens which are named after all the sisters... I'm the big bully lol awks! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha classic. We named our four original hens after people we know, the next two just have random names that hubby picked x x

      Delete
  3. Hubby would love chickens but so much work to be done before we can think of things like extra animals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to work towards one day, they are such lovely animals to keep x x

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I LOVE them! Especially the one who's right up to the camera, head cocked in an inquisitive manner!!!
    When I used to live in Goodmayes as a teen, we used to have 3 bantum hens who someone brought into the vet where my mum worked. We loved them- they were so friendly, sweet and they made such delightful clucking noises! It was an awful sad day when we came home to find the fox had got them.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such characters, I do love the noise they make although at times it can be a bit annoying, especially if you fancy a lie in. We would like to get bantums one day, we have had a bantum cockerel but sadly had to re-home him as he didn't get on with our girls, I love their fluffy little feet x x

      Delete