Wednesday 4 May 2016

A Jolly Jaunt in the Country

On Sunday, we decided to take full advantage of the glorious bank holiday weekend weather we were having and set off on a nine mile round walk from home in Writtle, to The Viper near Ingatestone and back again, with a couple of friends.



This is the furthest I have ever walked.  I was a little worried how I would cope.



There was plenty to look at along the way and I stopped endless times to take photos.  You see so much more on foot than what you would driving there in the car.  Including a couple of herds of deer.



I needn't have worried really.  It wasn't as bad as I'd thought, although it seemed a lot further than I thought it would be.


The blisters kicked in half way and on the stretch home my legs began to ache.  it was about twenty minutes to the end that I really started to flag.  But in the grand scheme of things I was really impressed at how well I had lasted out.



It was a challenge, one that I enjoyed.  I'd definitely look to do another walk like it again. 



~ Gem x

11 comments:

  1. I love going for walks in the countryside. It's a great way to get fresh air and exercise and be able to have a chat at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh to have all that on your doorstep....Still miss your country. A visit of five days is much too short! Beautiful photo's of the countryside.

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's easy for us to take things for granted. I feel much the same about your country, although I've never visited, I would love to one day x x

      Delete
  3. The Viper loop is a cycle ride we used to do- my husband still does. Funnily enough, when you were over towards here, he was cycling to Writtle on Sunday! I wasn't sure about the weather so I didn't go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yes, you should do the Saffron trail- it is lovely and very easy walking. We parked at Felsted this time and jumped on the bus back to the car from Great Dunmow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I envy you these walks! There is no opportunities for walks like these in the States, tho' they are always my favorite part of visits to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you still get to enjoy them even if it isn't so often x x

      Delete