Wednesday 30 November 2016

Saying Goodbye to the Orchards

I knew that the day I'd have to say goodbye to my little home would be a sad day.  It's a day I have dreaded since moving in, back in February 2013.  It's a day that is almost here.  That day is tomorrow.


It has been a journey full of ups and downs.  Lots of incredible memories that I will treasure forever, but also some of the saddest times of my life.  Times I never imagined I would ever encounter.


Meeting the most incredible lady,  Mrs Pudney.  She had lived there since the second world war.  She was posted to The Orchards as a land girl, fell in love and married the farmer and lived there for the rest of her life, right up to the grand age of 94, such an inspirational woman.  I miss her dearly, her stories were just fascinating.   


The past three, almost four years, has given me that taste for country living and it's left me hungry for more.  I know that it is the lifestyle for me.  Who knew I would become such a lover of chickens, such funny little characters giving us the most delicious eggs I've ever tasted. 
I may not be moving straight into the next step of that country dream but I know it is in my future, it has to be, I will make sure it is. 


It has been a really tough few weeks, going through all of my belongings and evaluating what I have.  It makes you wonder why you hold on to some things.  It has given me a lot of time to think about who I am and what I want from life.  The one thing I want more than anything though is to be happy.  I intend to work on that, doing things for myself and living for the moment, because if I've learnt one thing this year, it is that you really don't know what is round the corner. 


So as the season moves to Christmas I'm determined to embrace it.  You'll be seeing a lot of Christmas themed posts about the place and I'm going to be looking forward to what lies ahead, whatever that may be.  But the one thing I do know for sure is that I will forever hold a place in my heart for The Orchards, my little piece of country life and I will be eternally grateful for the experience it has provided me with these past few years.


~ Gem x

10 comments:

  1. You'll find your happy place again. It's an end of a chapter not a book. The next chapter will be so much better. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the door closes on The Orchards another door is opening as you step into this new and exciting chapter of your life Gem, I know you will grab all the new opportunities coming your way with your usual enthusiasm and with all your heart and I'm looking forward to seeing where you go and what you get up to xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't meant to be. Look after yourself and you will find what you are looking for, unexpectedly. The end of the first chapter, which is only the start of a good book. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true, thank you my love x x

      Delete
  4. It looks and sounds idyllic and I am sorry it has to end. You will gain your own country dream again because you are determined and have a big heart which the country has become part of and you will find it even though it seems hard right now or not imminent. You never know what is around the corner, something wonderful may be waiting.

    Hens are beautiful characters. We loved owning them!

    I'm playing at John Lewis again, next Thursday from 6.30-8 so should you happen to be there for their late night shopping event, do say Hi!x

    Take care of yourself.Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just hoping that I won't be away for too long.
      Oooo that sounds great, I will try and get along to see you. I would love to meet you and see you play x x x

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear you're having to move on from your home but as everyone is saying it's new beginnings and there's nothing better than the start of a new year with change I think. That's why I'm holding off looking for a new job until the new year as I think I'll be more invested.

    Victoria x
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to the new year with the fresh start I have, I've literally just started a new job too so there's been changes all round.
      Good luck with the job hunt come January x x x

      Delete