Wednesday 20 April 2016

Garden Progress

We made the most of the glorious warm sunshine on Sunday and spent the day in the garden.  I'm very pleased to see that the buds are coming along nicely on our Peonies, I can't wait till these are in bloom.  There don't seem to be as many as last year, but their scent is so strong I'm sure it will barely notice.  


Lots of weeding was done in the flower beds, I'm finally on top of that job now (for a couple of weeks anyway).  I've cheated a little and have left some of the weeds that I know produce pretty flowers, just until some of our plants have become more established and have a bit of colour to them.


Lots more work was done on the veg patch too.  We've built a fence around it using tree branches and chicken wire, to keep the rabbits out.  There is still plenty of weeding to be done here.  All this rain and sunshine is just perfect conditions for weeds.  


We have hoed and raked over another of the beds and planted in parsnip and turnip seeds (I do love my parsnips).


So in the ground now we have, onions, cabbages, carrots and leeks, plus the seeds planted this weekend.  We have also started planting marigolds in amongst the beds too.  I'm sure the pop of colour will look great and the plan is that it should keep some of the garden pests away from the veg.  I'll let you know how that goes.    


The greenhouse is looking fruitful too and all of the seedlings that James had panted are coming along nicely.


It looks as though it is going to be a busy summer in the garden this year.

If you haven't entered my World Book Night Giveaway, there is still time.  Make sure you get your comment on the original post by 8pm tomorrow (Thursday).

~ Gem x

6 comments:

  1. Lovely and well cared for garden you have there. The seedlings in the greenhouse look so fabulously healthy !
    I have to get myself some peonies too. Gorgeous they are. xxx...x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope they stay looking healthy hehee x x

      Delete
  2. You'll have a garden full of green before you know it! Gardening is such hard work but SO worth it in the end. We can't plant anything here until the end of May, but I am starting to see my perennials pop up above ground-level now. Won't be long til we have tulips and daffs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed. It is hard work but enjoyable all the same i a funny kind of way. With any luck the time will fly by and you'll soon be planting x x

      Delete
  3. Oooh, SO productive!! I don't know why I am so reluctant to get on with planting!!! It's silly!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get started it isn't so bad. I must admit, James has done most of ours bless him x x

      Delete