Thursday 14 June 2012

Writtle

To finish off the week it only seemed right to have another afternoon tea.  This time we decided to stay local.  I had heard about tea rooms in Writtle but had not yet tried any of them.  We opted for Bygones opposite Writtle Green.


You walk in through the door straight into a boutique type gift shop.  The shop was lovely, I can imagine them selling some beautiful pieces at Christmas time.  At the back of the shop was a door leading to the Tea Room outside.


It wasn't at all what I had expected.  I felt as though I was sitting in a garden shed, which in theory we were. 


It was decorated well, I loved the colour choices.  They had a range of tin signs with cakes and scones on hanging on the walls which added to the theme they were running with.  They had some rustic hearts on the wall which would have worked well if they had of thought about where they had placed them all a bit more but it looked as though they had just been plonked anywhere which was a shame.


We ordered afternoon tea, it tasted good but it wasn't presented very well.  It was brought out all cramped on a tray along with someone else's order.


I loved the milk jug and thought it was a shame that the teapot was one of those metal ones you get in cheap hotels, and the sugar was in a bucket along with packets of sweetener, it just really didn't look good.  The place also lacked hugely in atmosphere.  In the corner was a tacky jukebox you would expect to see in someones dated house, as if that wasn't bad enough they were playing this awful pan pipe music that just seemed so far away from everything else they were trying to achieve.


One thing I did love was this door.  I loved the fabric behind it and the effect it gave, it worked really well.  It's just a shame that not everything else did.  There were cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and the attitude of the staff wasn't too impressive either.  I think it is safe to say that we will not be returning to this particular establishment.

There are still plenty more tea rooms to try, and I can't wait to try them all :)

Love Gem x x x x

9 comments:

  1. Is your blog going to focus on tea room reviews? If so, I love it, it's a great idea. I da love scones and that, coming from Somerset! X x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh that's a shame :-( It looks like it has some great potential but just not pulled off quite well enough. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- you did go to a lot of tea rooms that week! Love your reviews. Are you going to be reviewing more on your blog?

    Gemma xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh I haven't been to Writtle for years!

    The tea room seems a bit of a let down, especially after walking through that lovely boutiquey shop.

    I agree, it's a lovely little milk jug. Sometimes it just takes a few small minor adjustments to make something a bit meh to something a bit wow.

    Can't wait to see your next tea room.

    Ruby x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so pretty :) Could just manage a scone and coffee just now ....

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a shame. I haven't tried tea there but isn't the shop lovely?! Have you tried tea on the green in Danbury? Think you need to book. It was nice when we went but it was years ago!! I keep meaning to try again. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a shame, it had such promise!

    Also, you're making me look forward to all the cream teas I will be having in Cornwall!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gem I'm just catching up on my blog reading so haven't read all your reviews as I'm working backwards but I am loving your down to earth honest reviews, sounds like the place needs just that little be extra to make it 'something special' will you be sending any of your reviews to the establishments you have visited.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your comments.

    Just so you are aware Bygones Tea Rooms are now under new management and it is absolutely wonderful. So wonderful in fact that it has been voted the 3rd best tea room in the country beating Harrods into 4th place - Check out "Cupcake Magazine" for the review. If you want the best home made cakes and scones with the finest tea, pay them a visit.

    ReplyDelete