Friday 2 December 2011

Stained Glass Angel Workshop

On Tuesday I took a days holiday from work and spent my day at Hylands Stables completing a stained glass workshop.  It is something I have wanted to do for quite some time but the courses get booked up really quickly, so I was pleased to hear that I had got a space on this one.  We were making an angel for Christmas. 


I'm addicted and am already looking at other stained glass courses I can get myself onto.  It was actually surprisingly quite easy, although it does take time and patience.



Once you have chosen your coloured glass, you need to cut it according to a template, quite a scary thing to start with but the sound of the glass cutting is just great (that makes me sound very strange hey!)


Once the pieces have been cut they need to be grinded (not even sure if this is a word but I am hoping you know what I mean), to smooth the edges so they fit nicely together. 


The pieces then need to be copper foiled around the edges so the lead will have something to stick to. 


Then using a soldering iron weld the pieces together and tin all the outside edges.  There you have it, a finished angel.  I added on a halo and a piece to hang this angel up with and a pretty little heart all using wire which have really finished the piece off nicely.


I'm so chuffed with it and can't wait to be able to do some more work with glass in the future.

~ Gem x

3 comments:

  1. Gem your angel is beautiful I think you have found your calling, can't wait to see what you make next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fab Gem! Well done you : )

    I know what you mean about the glass cutting sound. When watching Kirstie cut mosaic pieces on Ch 4 I had the urge to do it! Weird right!

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like such an wonderful way to spend a day and the angel is just gorgeous! I must sign on for the next workshop, although I think I'll have to wait a while now...

    ReplyDelete