Wednesday 18 January 2017

London Sky Garden

I have wanted to visit the London Sky Gardens for ages, so was rather excited when I eventually managed to get tickets for myself and a friend to visit this past weekend.


On arriving at 20 Fenchurch Street we stepped in the lift and travelled the 37 floors right to the 38th floor at the top of the building.  Walking out into the open space we were greeted with the stunning view of London amongst a garden full of greenery and shrubs. 


The views were fantastic and most likely would have been better had the weather been clearer.  The fact that it's a free experience too is brilliant. 



I'm not entirely sure exactly what I expected, but I did leave feeling somewhat underwhelmed and disappointed.  I found it hard to understand what all the hype has been about.  The views are the same as those from The Shard (except for being able to see the Shard of course) and the gardens were lacking in anything inspiring, which I appreciate could be something to do with the time of year.  But on the whole I'm sad to say I wasn't all that impressed.



The concept of the idea really is great, I mean who would have thought of having a garden all that way up inside a building in the middle of London, it is a brilliant idea.  And as I mentioned the fact that it is free is great.  But I do think it could do with a lot more colour.  Maybe I'll visit again during the summer and hope then to be a bit more inspired.  At least for now it is something else I can cross off my list of 30 before 30.



Have you visited before?  I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

~ Gem x

6 comments:

  1. I've not been but I do like the idea!!! I like the indoor gardens at the Barbican Centre. I did a concert there once so I enjoyed that secret place!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea. I'm gad I've been but don't think I'll be rushing back anytime soon x x

      Delete
  2. I haven't been here before and its ridiculous as I used to work minutes from it.

    I'm so glad when you write your reviews and are honest when underwhelmed. I often see things and go to visit and like and enjoy them but wonder why they're afforded such 'this is amazing' when it's nothing that special or out of the ordinary.

    Victoria x
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always the way though isn't it.

      Thank you, I often wonder whether I should be so honest but in my opinion what is the point in writing about something if you're not going to be honest. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion at the end of the day and this is just mine. I'm not saying everyone else is wrong, it just wasn't for me. I'm glad my honesty is appreciated though my lovely x x

      Delete
  3. It is a shame when somewhere doesn't live up to your expectations isn't it. I hope the rest of your day and other things you have planned are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I think sometimes my expectations of things are just too great. I often have a much better time at things when I go with an open mind or don't know what to expect. It was great spending time with my friend though so not all was lost x x

      Delete