Wednesday 21 October 2015

Tips for Styling Photos

I'm no photographer, nor am I an expert at styling photos but I have learnt a few things over the past couple of months and it's amazing what a difference a few changes can make.

Always try and take your photos with natural light, it's surprising how much of an affect lighting can have on your photos.  Your background is also really important.  Plain white backgrounds can work really well but if you've not got that luxury why not experiment with different textures and surroundings.  Fabrics are always good, whether it be bedding or just a piece of fabric laid out on the floor or table.  I quite like wooden backgrounds for that rustic feel so either a wooden floor or table both can work well.  Failing that wallpaper samples can be great and the possibilities with this option really are limitless.
  

Take the photo above for instance.  The main subject of the image is laid out, but it doesn't look all that inspiring. 


Add some fairy lights and the image has a bit more depth to it, but it's still not quite at it's fullest potential.


By simply adding in some pretty petal confetti, it really brings the image to life.  The pop of colour complements the main subject.  Much better than the original image, wouldn't you agree?

~ Gem x

8 comments:

  1. Great tips, Gem. I can tell you have been working on your photography the last few months. All your photos are so pretty. Looking forward to some festive looking shots in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I can't wait to start working on some more Christmassy images x x x

      Delete
  2. Good advice, lovely photo and many congrats on your first anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great tips! I'm terrible when it comes to styling photos and it's something that I need to really start focusing on. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me ages to get to this point and I still have a really long way to go. It's just a case of playing around with things really x x x

      Delete
  4. Styling photos is the thing I love and hate most about blogging! HAHA

    Victoria x
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree although I do tend to love it more than hate it. It's what I get the most satisfaction out of x x x

      Delete