Wednesday 1 July 2015

Things I Know Now, I Wish I'd Known Then

There are often times through my life that I think to myself, I wish I'd known growing up what I know now, how different my life could be.


Now don't get me wrong, I know everything happens for a reason and things in our life may change from time to time, including our thoughts and the decisions we make.


I guess this all stems from the whole thing of nearing 30 and still having achieved nothing, especially career wise in my life.


I often think back to my school days and the options I chose at GCSE.  If I were to be able to chose them again now, I'd pick completely different subjects, without a doubt.  I know I picked what was right for me at the time, but did I really know what was right for me?  I had no idea about the person I was, the person I was going to become or even who I wanted to be, not a clue.


I had no idea that I would enjoy crafts and flower arranging.  I should have picked art as a GCSE subject, but I hated art.


At college I studied Travel & Tourism, how did I not know that five years down the line I would want to be a florist?  The annoying thing is that I still feel like that now, only I can't afford to do the qualification.


Like I said everything happens for a reason.  Studying Travel and Tourism gained me a job at Thomas Cook and had I not of got that job I would never have met my husband, so I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, but I just can't help thinking what if I'd done things differently, but then had I of done so would I be where I am now, living in my little piece of the countryside?


There are many paths we take through life, and hopefully I have many more years ahead of me, with plenty more decisions to make.  Regardless of whether I will agree that these decisions will be the right or wrong ones in years to come, they will shape my future and my life, now isn't that a scary thought.


~ Gem x

6 comments:

  1. It's important to never look back as like you I think everything happens for a reason. I had a situation with a teacher at my school which completely changed my further education and my career aspirations (I keep meaning to blog about it actually!) but I can't complain too much!

    Victoria x
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds intriguing :) There is always going to be something or other in life that we may wish we had done differently but then isn't that what life is all about. It's a learning curve for all of us x x x x

      Delete
  2. I, too, believe all things happen for a reason. I originally planned to attend a different Teacher's College after university but at the last minute changed my mind due to money considerations. I was so sad for weeks, but knew I had to get over it and be happy at the school closer to home. I'm so glad I smiled and got on with it because that is where I started dating Kevin. Without this one small change in my life, all things would have worked out differently. ate works in mysterious ways!
    I know you are unhappy in your job, but is there a way you can do some "flowery" things on the side, even without further qualifications? Could you help with a friend's wedding, or do arrangements for the local church?
    Money wise, could you put a small amount away each pay cheque knowing eventually you'll have enough $$ to attend a class? Probably all things you have already thought of.....
    I hope you can find some career happiness soon, Gem. I hate seeing you so glum.
    xxoxoo, Bronwyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows what lies around the corner Bronwyn, I work close to home and the hours are good so for now it is convenient so I can't grumble too much and I have no regrets so that is always a good thing.
      I have a few ideas up my sleeve that hopefully I will be able to pull off so watch this space x x x

      Delete
  3. I think of many things like this- what would have happened if....?
    I guess we will always get there in the end, it just takes a while. I hope you get your dream of being a florist!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie.
      There are always going to be what if's no matter what choices and decisions we make, good to know I'm not alone in thinking them though :) x x x

      Delete