Monday 27 November 2017

My American Adventure

I'm actually finding it hard to believe that I'm writing this post.  There is no way that I would even have begun to imagine travelling to America at the beginning of this year, let alone on my own.

Back in May I met up with the lovely Brook from Redhead Reverie.  She was visiting London on holiday and had contacted me about meeting up, which I was thrilled to do after communicating with her online since 2011.  It was great to chat to her over coffee and we got on so well, it was as though I'd last caught up with her the previous week.  We talked about travelling and I had mentioned how I'd love to see more of America.  I remember how I felt getting home that evening, the buzz and excitement of meeting up with her.  Little did I know we'd me meeting again later in the year, this time in her home town.


Having booked my flights in August, by the time October rolled around I was ready.  Although feeling nervous, I was so excited for the 8 nights that lay ahead I couldn't wait to see Brook again and finally meet her family, whom I had heard so much about. 


The trip was certainly very different to any other visit I have made to the US before.  Fitting myself into everyday, American family life was a great insight, plus it meant plenty of quality time with Brook.  Enjoying breakfasts out with bottomless cups of coffee and my body weight in pancakes was something I could easily get used to. 



During my stay I got to experience my first American Football game, it was a no brainer knowing that they are a football mad family, but that was OK with me.  It was insane and I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would.  The atmosphere was amazing.  It would have been better had the temperature been a little warmer but even still I had the best time. It is an experience I won't forget and I am so glad I was able to experience it. 




I had also timed my visit in time with Halloween.  A celebration that the Americans do very well.  Trick or treating was never really a thing when I was a kid so this also meant that I was able to experience it for the first time too.  It was so good seeing how much effort everyone went to, and of course I had to dress up and get involved, you can't let the kids have all the fun can you!  I was even able to visit the boy's school and help out with their Halloween party.  I spent a little while reading to some of the children, which was an experience in itself as it is not something I would ever of had the opportunity to have done before.



The trip didn't end here, but I am going to save the rest for another day.  For now I just want to finish by saying how thankful I am for this trip.  It's an opportunity I have gained through blogging that I would not have been so fortunate to experience if I had not come across Brook's blog all those years ago.

~ Gem x

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you really have had an All-American experience! The number of people at that game is insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering it was only a college league team I was amazed by the support from everyone it was incredible. Such an amazing trip, I still can't quite believe that I have been xx

      Delete
  2. It's lovely to be able to have these kind of experiences, and you'll be able to look back on this post and remember it for years to come as well. xx

    ReplyDelete