Monday 21 August 2017

Visiting National Trust's Bourne Mill

On my quest to explore more of my home county, a recent visit was made to Bourne Mill in Colchester. 


Originally built in 1591, it has been used as a fishing lodge, a corn mill, a cloth mill and for private residency before being given to the National trust in 1935.


Sadly they are doing some works on the mill at the moment so access to the second floor wasn't possible, it also meant that due to the works being done the wheel was not in operation which I was a little gutted about.  However that didn't take a way the beauty of the building itself, the pretty cottage style garden and the stunning view across the lake.



It was the building that I was most taken with.  It is so unusual compared to other buildings around and was in actual fact made using materials from other buildings, which explains the miss matched approach that really gives the building its character.



Visiting on a Friday was probably the best decision, it was so peaceful, there were only 2 other people visiting the property.  It allowed plenty of time to sit and soak it all in and it offered the perfect little spot to get lost in my thoughts for a while.


How I have never discovered this little gem before I'm not entirely sure but I'm glad to have visited it now and hope to one day return to see the wheel in action. 

~ Gem x 
 

2 comments: