Monday 13 March 2017

Stratford's ArcelorMittal Orbit

Since hearing they were going to be opening a slide at the ArcelorMittal Orbit in the Olympic Park Stratford, the adrenalin junkie within me has been waiting to try it out.  I was lucky enough to open a ticket for the slide at Christmas and so the wait came to an end last weekend when I headed to Stratford to check it out.  


Already having my ticket, I was directed to the lift to take me to the viewing platform.  I love London so seeing the view from a different angle was great.




You can't take any belongings onto the slide with you so I had to go back down to the ground to use the lockers onsite.  The lockers are a really good size and cost £1 which is returned to you when you fetch your belongings at the end, so if you are going to visit make sure you have a pound coin on you. 

Back into the lift and up to the slide I was feeling so excited to try it out.  You are given some rather fetching safety gear to wear, elbow pads and a very attractive helmet, which personally seemed a bit health and safety gone mad to me.  However, on going down the slide I completely get it.  Wow that thing was fast! 


You know when you queue for a ride for about an hour and then you finally get on it for it to be over within seconds, well I had prepared myself for this to be the case.  Although there was no queue which was a bonus, the allotted time slots definitely help to prevent this from happening.  Once on the slide, I turned a fair few corners where I expected to find myself at the bottom, only it just kept on going (not that I am complaining).  It was bloody brilliant.  I loved every second and would definitely do it again. 


If it is something you have been meaning to do yourself or if you have a visit planned to London and are looking for something a little different to do while you are there then I would recommend heading to Stratford to try it out.  Do try and book your tickets before you go though as it does get booked up pretty quickly. 


~ Gem x

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to go on this!

    Victoria x
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get over how fast it was, I actually felt dizzy when I got to the bottom but it was incredible though x x

      Delete
  2. It sounds crazy! I'm not really into fast stuff but I'd be tempted!
    By the way, my flute quartet are playing again at John Lewis, Chelmsford on Saturday the 8th April from about 11ish I think, so if you happen to be in town, do pop in and say Hi! It would be lovely to finally meet you in person, even if for just 2 minutes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if you were going to come at all, but my flute quartet aren't playing on the Saturday at John Lewis anymore but on Thursday night instead!x

      Delete