Tuesday 17 December 2019

Rochester

I have vowed to explore more of the UK as part of my forty before forty list.  We are blessed with some beautiful places in the UK some of which are so close to home they can be travelled to and explored all in one day.  Places such as Rochester.  I am honestly not sure how I have managed to go this long before stumbling across this little gem of a place.

It is only a small town but it is packed with plenty to do.  In the few hours that I was there I managed to see a lot, without being rushed.  



The Cathedral was pretty grand, I imagine it would look gorgeous at this time of year decked out for Christmas.


Next up was Eastgate House, tucked just off the High Street.  I didn't go inside as there was an event taking place when I visited, but I was able to see it all from outside and even got to see the chalet where Charles Dickens used to do his writing overlooking the garden.



Lastly was the castle.  All that is left of it now is the square keep which you can still go inside and climb to the top (three floors), where the view of Rochester is worth a look. 


There was plenty more explored on the day so this isn't an extensive list on all that there is to do in Rochester.  I would say if you've not visited before, it is worth adding to the list of places to check out.  I'd like to return one year for the Dickens Themed Christmas market, maybe next year.

~ Gem x

1 comment:

  1. I've never been to Rochester though I've always liked the idea of the Dickens festival! Looks lovely! Hope you are well.x

    ReplyDelete