Wednesday 18 December 2019

Colchester Zoo

Before now I actually cannot remember the last time I visited a zoo.  I've never been a huge fan and the thought of wild animals being kept in captivity just really doesn't appeal me.  I remember going to Colchester Zoo as a kid, back then it felt huge but I have to say, returning now as an adult it still felt as though the animals all had plenty of space within their enclosures.


It was also clear to see how much all the staff cared about the animals and how knowledgeable they all were, which was really lovely to see.  But the thing that struck me the most was the amount of work that Colchester Zoo do with their breeding programmes and the work they are doing surrounding conservation and sustainability.

    
They have projects worldwide in supporting conservation of animals as a part of their Action for the Wild charity.  It was humbling to see how passionate they really are, and the fact that it is not just another money grabbing tourist attraction.  It has definitely changed my perception of things and I won't be leaving a return visit so long this time.


~ Gem x

No comments:

Post a Comment