Tuesday 10 July 2018

My 40 Before 40 Update - Year 1

How is it even possible that I am updating this one year on already.  Today I turn 31.  This actually frightens me more than turning 30 as I am now officially in my 30's.


I've had a pretty successful year working my way through my 40 before 40 list.  Here is what I have crossed off so far.

1. Complete anything not achieved from my list of thirty before thirty by the time I reach 31.

I finally got to fly in a hot air balloon.  I cannot tell you how many times I have had this booked for it to be cancelled due to the weather.   It was well worth the three year wait though.


The last thing from my 30 before 30 list was to climb the roof of the O2 which I managed to complete this weekend.  Why it took me so long to do I really couldn't tell you, but I'm glad I've done it now.


3. Ride in a helicopter.

I was lucky enough to go one above this and actually got the opportunity to fly a helicopter during a flying lesson.  Such an incredible experience.


8. Attend a life drawing class.

I've now been to two of these classes.  My drawing skills still need a lot of improvements but it's been good fun.


9. Go and see a live performance of The Nutcracker.

After seeing Swan Lake last year The Nutcracker seemed to be the best ballet performance to follow and it did not disappoint.  Truly magical.


20. Have a go at clay pigeon shooting.

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would.  It also hurt my shoulder a lot more than I thought it would.  It was still a great experience though and definitely something I would try again.  Plus it felt great being out in the countryside.


27. Go on a girls holiday.

I've been on a couple of girls holidays now and have another planned for September.  I'd like to think that there will be plenty more in the years to come.  The first was to Chicago with Brook (best trip EVER!) and the second a girls weekend to Center Parcs Elvedon Forest to celebrate my sister in law to be's hen weekend.



31. Improve my photography skills and complete some form of photography course.

I attended a 10 week photography course last year which I loved.  It definitely got me thinking more about how to take photos and I also learnt how to use a camera on manual, I never thought I'd achieve that one.

So all in all it's been a pretty good year.  I've been making good head way in starting off some of the other things on my list and am confident that next year will be another successful update.

~ Gem x 

6 comments:

  1. You're a braver women than me. I don't do heights and whilst I might just risk the hot air balloon I definitely wouldn't be climbing to the top of the O2 for all the tea in china.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha this did make me chuckle. The hot air balloon was so peaceful, and although climbing the O2 was a lot harder than I thought it would be it didn't seem all that high in all fairness xxx

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! That's so cool that you've done so much and aim to do so much more before 40. I'm 32 myself and just making it through every day is far enough stress for me. I will have to live vicariously through folks like yourself who can and want to do these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've been dealt a bit of a rough hand in the past couple of years which has made me want to do more. These lists have been amazing at pushing me to do and enjoy more. xx

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday! This is great - such a good idea to do a bucket list, and you're achieving such amazing things. I was reading this thinking that I should do a 40 before 40 list... until I remembered I'm 39 in December! Ooops, a bit too late maybe! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not too late at all. If anything it is even more of a reason to do it. The things don't need to be big or adventurous. I did my 30 before 30 within a year (minus 2 things which I added to my 40 before 40) xxx

      Delete