Wednesday 25 February 2015

Sugru - Review

I was contacted quite a while back by the guys at Sugru asking me if I would be interested in trying it out.  I'd never heard of it before and was intrigued to find out a bit more about it.  So I Googled it, I watched a few YouTube videos and figured I'd give it a go for myself.

For a few months now I have been racking my brain for a crafty and creative way of being able to use the product, still to this day I have come up with nothing, although there are loads of great ideas on the craft section on there website here.


It is what I would call a fix it product that you can get creative with, modifying everyday, household items.

James' iPhone charger had become loose and the wire had become exposed.  He used the Sugru to repair the chord and it did a really great job.  At the time I didn't take any photos as I was thinking of a pretty and creative use for my review.  As that hasn't happened I have pinched an image from Pinterest to give you an idea what I mean.

Image sourced from Pinterest.

To begin with the product is very much like play-dough.  You manipulate it to the desired shape or mould it around, in this case, wire, but it could be whatever you are looking to use it for.  It could be to create a handle on a saucepan lid or even a hook of some kind on the back of a cupboard door.  The possibilities really are pretty much endless.

It comes in various colours, each sealed in their own little individual pack.  Bare in mind that once the packet has been opened you need to use it pretty much there and then as once it is left or the air to get to it, it will begin to set.

Just a few of the colours, it also comes in white and black plus some brand new colours that have recently been added.

Each individual pack is fairly small in size, but you can make it go a long way, especially if it is small things you are looking to fix, such as a phone charger.  So it may be an idea to wait until you have  a few things to use it for to get the maximum use from it.

Once it has set it is rubbery in texture and can still be flexible depending on how it has been used.

Maybe I'm missing a trick and there is a wonderful and creative use for this stuff that I've just not come across yet.  If you can thing of anything be sure to let me know.

I did think about making some stamps but then I don't really have the need for stamps.  And then I spotted the glue gun stand which I loved, but my glue gun has it's own little stand attached to it, so there is no need for that either.  There must be something out there.  I'm just waiting fore it to come to me. I'm sure it will happen eventually :).

The product is currently stocked in Wilkos and B&Q.  Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.

Love Gem x x

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... my kids would play with that stuff for hours, but I'm not sure they'd do anything useful with it!! : )

    ReplyDelete