Friday 20 February 2015

Aldwych The Secret Station

Last stop on Saturdays adventure in London was the main reason for our visit.  We had booked up a station tour of Aldwych Station.  After hearing about it last year I was keen to check it out for myself, (even the 156 steps to get to and from the platforms eeek).


The station closed in 1996 and is now used by the emergency services for training  as well as being used as a film set.


Most recently it has been used in the filming of Mr Selfridge and Sherlock but in the past has been used in films such as Atonement and The Edge of Love.


There is so much history surrounding the station which I loved hearing about throughout the tour.


The station was used during both world wars to store works of art from the London galleries and museums as well as acting as a shelter for 100's of people.


When the station first opened in 1907 it opened as Strand Station due to it's location on The Strand.


It was run as a terminus on the Picadilly Line with trains running to Holburn.


The name was changed  to Aldwych to save confusion due to a second station opening at the other end of The Strand.


There were so many facts and bits of information given to us through out the hour and a half long tour, but I don't want to bore you all with them all, but I'll happily answer any questions via email if you want to know more.


If your local to London I'd really recommend checking it out (I booked it with the London Transport Museum)


It was the perfect end to the perfect day with my hubby (I still can't get used to saying that hehee)

~ Gem x

3 comments:

  1. If you hadn't mentioned all those steps I might have been tempted to book up! ;o)

    Victoria x
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing. I think it looks very eerie being all empty I imagine it would be a grand setting for a horror movie. So glad to be back to blogging and looking forward to catching up with you all x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. So much history UNDERNEATH London, too! Love the old ads hanging on the walls. Very nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete