Thursday 8 May 2014

Bee School

For the past couple of months I have been learning all about honey bee's.  I have wanted to keep bee's for a fair few years now so after seeing a taster session advertised in the local paper last year I jumped at the chance to get involved.  I loved it and was keen to find out how I could get more involved.


The theory course ran throughout February and March.  I learnt so much, who knew there was so much to know about bees?  They are such fascinating little creatures.  So with the theory course now complete, I even got a certificate to prove it.  It is now onto the practical sessions.


The first practical session was on Sunday.  I started off learning how to make a frame (these go into the hive and depending where it is in the hive will depend on it's use, either for laying eggs, or storing pollen and honey).


The second part was looking at the different kinds of bee hive's and other equipment needed for bee keeping.  And then it was off to look at some working hives.  I find it all so amazing, watching them work is just incredible.


I have learnt so much already and can't wait to get my own hive of bee's to look after.


The funny thing about it all is that I can't stand honey, which means there will be plenty of that to go around all being well :)


So, who's for a jar of honey?

~ Gem x

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, Gem this is so exciting!!! I don't know if you still read my blog at all but my Grandad (who died recently) was a bee-keeper and there were over 30 bee-keepers at his funeral. He taught it at a school in Brentwood also up to a month before he died. I regret, really regret, not learning from him. I also don't like honey but I did like the idea of bee-keeping. He used to pick up swarms from people and there was a whole group of lady beekeepers at the funeral who he started off, bringing them swarms and they phoned him all the time to ask for bee advice.
    By the way, I cycled to Writtle on Sunday (did a little blog onit)- we had lunch in Mouro, near the green which was very tasty! It's so lovely!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kezzie, I do pop in from time to time but I must have missed that, I'm sorry to hear your news. Bee keepers tend to build up quite a community together, I'm sure your Grandad is known by some of the people I have been working with.
      Mauro's is a lovely little place, we have been there a couple of times before, always very busy which is a good sign too :) x x x x

      Delete
  2. Hi Gem, I have always fancied keeping bees too. Years (and years) ago when I was at junior school our headmaster kept bee hives on a wild flower meadow in the school grounds and we all had a turn at collecting the honey from the hive and extracting it. Funny thing is, I don't like honey either! :) Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks amazing so glad you are enjoying it :)

    Bee happy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gem, I am Agnes from the Netherlands. I found you first on Pinterest and than I started to follow your blog. And I'm so jealous(in a good way!) I just love the country you live in and the way you live at this moment! I took the liberty to send you one pin for your latest board about bee's. Enjoy your life!
    ( sorry if my english is bad)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Agnes, Thank you so much for your kind comment and for popping by my blog. I have received the pin you have sent me through Pinterest and have happily pinned it to my Dreams of Bees board :)

      Hopefully I will be seeing a lot more of you around :) (and don't worry about you're English, it's perfect) x x x x

      Delete
  5. We had bees when I was little. I remember my Mum collecting a swarm from the school playing field once. And we had a frame spinner to collect the honey looked a bit like something they might have used for laundry in times gone by. ;) I hate honey though. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, very interesting and such lovely memories :) It seems there aren't as many people as I thought who liked honey ha-ha x x x x

      Delete