Thursday 22 September 2011

York

Last Friday myself and James decided we would make a visit to York on the way home from the Lake District.  We thought we may as well while we were up that way, it would be a shame to miss it, plus it would break the journey up a little as well. 

Neither of us had been to York before so it was nice to discover some-place new.  That is definitely something I can now safely cross off my summer list.  

We arrived around 1pm and checked into our hotel then headed out in to the city to see the sights.

Of course you couldn't visit York without a visit to the Minster.



The stained glass windows were huge, they really were very pretty, I could just imagine it in there on a bright and sunny day, I bet it looks beautiful with all that colour flooding in.  


James decided we would take a trip up the Minster Tower.  Why? I really have no idea.  He is afraid of heights and I don't always do too great in small, confined and cramped spaces for long periods of time.  You can imagine that this to me didn't sound like it was going to be a huge highlight in my life, but I am always one for an experience so for a reason still unbeknown to me, agreed. 


The stair case awaited us.


Half way up we got a little rest, this was James' favourite part, we had to walk across part of what seemed like the roof to get to the next tower ha ha.


Me being me, stopped to take some photos, what did he expect?  Me to to be offering support after making me climb all those stairs!  We were still only half way!!!!


 By the time we finally reached the top.  273 steps later, the view was pretty good, although not the best I have seen before, and if I had of known exactly what I was going to see I certainly wouldn't have climbed all those bloody stairs.



And as we all know, what goes up must come down.  


 My legs honestly felt like lead after that.  

We then decided to head back to the hotel to get ready to go out again for dinner later that evening.  Well I got back to the hotel crashed out and had an afternoon nap, ah it was bliss.

We had a delicious Indian for dinner and then a visit back to the Minster to see it all lit up.  Very pretty, well when there are no stairs involved.



Saturday was a much more relaxed day.  We walked back into the city centre, today along the old walls that form around the centre. 


The day was spent walking the streets, in and out of the shops with their old fashioned shop fronts.  I could get used to shopping like this. 


We also made a visit to one of the many food stalls as it was the York food and drink festival.  We thought it would be nice to get some fresh food in for Sunday dinner.  We ended up bringing home everything we needed and couldn't resist this. 

Purple Cauliflower.

Dinner tasted great.  I am so lucky, James is a fab cook.  Look at all that colour, and it tasted delicious too.


What a great way to end a great week

~ Gem x

8 comments:

  1. Gem that sounds really lovely! Me & Ian are wanting a little break like this at some point...just the two of us!

    The shops look great too!

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. being a yorkshire lass - I love York - Aunty Bettys tea-rooms, gorgeous shops, the fabulous minster, museums, and the Nordic Viking centre - too much to see in one day though x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks lovely! How exciting to climb up although I don't like heights so I'm sure I'd be a little worried!
    HOW cool is that cauliflower and if only Willy Wonka's idea of screens that you can actually take the food from the screen were true- your dinner would be GONE!
    A shame about the 2nd but never mind, I thought I'd let you know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely couple of days! I really want to visit york, but it's a bit far for a day trip :( x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are great!!! Love the view from the top

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I love York. The Minster, although I've never been up to the tower. Not too keen on heights and the thought of all those steps .... no thanks.

    The Jorvik Centre is brilliant and the shops are fab. Of course, you have to have tea at Bettys.

    Looks like you both had a wonderful time there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gem, my email is playing up on my phone, just wanted to let you know I've popped some little lego men in my shop.
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning love
    Thanks for your glorious comment on my blog post - really cheered me up!!! ha ha, tell your boyf off for me please!!!
    We LOVE York. My hubby is from Yorkshire and we go there when we can.
    By the way, I notice you love Alan Carr. When the hubby and I were backpacking ten years ago, we met Alan through friends in Sydney. This was before he was famous and he had I danced all night on the podium in the Pontoon Bar. In fact in that book of his, there is a pic of him with one of the girls we were friends with.
    Sadly we lost touch - I LOVE ALan but I'm telling you straight (pardon the pun), he was never as camp as he is now and his teeth were NEVER that mad!!!!!
    xx x x x

    ReplyDelete