Friday 19 August 2011

Chocolate & Coffee Cake

I spent some time over the weekend baking.  I wanted to make a coffee cake but not being a lover of walnuts I started my hunt for another ingredient I could use instead, then the idea of coffee and chocolate just seemed to good to resist,  so I scoured the web when I came up with this delicious recipe.


6 Eggs
250g Dark Chocolate
100ml Strong Coffee
110g Butter
75g Brown Sugar
40g Flour
50ml Creme Fraiche
3tbsp Cocoa Powder
50ml Coffee Liquor
1tbsp Icing Sugar
Salt


Gently melt 150g of dark chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water along with the coffee. 
Roughly chop the butter, add to the mixture and mix well.
Preheat the oven to 150C / 300F
Separate the egg whites and yolks, putting the whites to one side.  Beat the yolks with the brown sugar until white.  Add to the melted chocolate and then add the flour.
Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff then add to the mixture.
Bake in the oven for 40minutes.


Once the cake has cooked leave to cool.
Melt the rest of the chocolate in the same way. 
Remove from the heat the pour in the creme fraiche and coffee liquor.
Leave to cool, stirring from time to time.


Take the cake from the tin then pour the icing all over. 
Chill for 10minutes then sprinkle with cocoa powder and icing sugar (optional)



I was so chuffed with how the cake looked and even more excited about the fact I would be able to post my first ever recipe, at last I felt like a real woman.  

~ Gem x

6 comments:

  1. Oh No about throwing your master piece away!! Nightmare, least you can be safe in the knowledge that you were right. Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pah men. . .
    I made bread this week still loads of christening cake left to eat. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Gem, I must say cake looks gorgeous, and such a shame it got chucked :( Technically though, is it not a mocha cake if its chocolate and coffee?! hehe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks soo good! Well done you :) Don't let it knock your confidence..like you said it's all down to experience!

    Sometimes us girls need a good cry & tantrum to let all our frustrations out (I'm known to do this quite often tbh).

    Have a great weekend lovely : )

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Gem such a shame with the cake ,it looked delicious! Thankyou for your kind comments over at mine,it means a lot.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my dear
    Thanks so your lovely comments over at mine.
    This cake looks tremendous!!!! Delish. Wish you could send me over a slice. Ha ha.
    Hope you had a lovely weekend x x

    ReplyDelete