Wednesday 19 December 2012

Brussels

Seriously where is this month going?  It is flying by.  The 1st of December only feels like yesterday, maybe that has something to do with the why I've not blogged about what happened on the 1st.  Well the title of the post kind of gives it away, and I'm not referring to the vegetable kind here, I'm on about the Brussels in Belgium.


I had a weekend booked up with my Mum and my Nan, a girly festive break to get us into the spirit of things.  We travelled up by Eurostar, which none of us have ever used before.  I'd definitely use it again, it is so quick and easy, much easier than flying, however I was a little disappointed.  I was expecting something a bit classier (not in a snobby way).  The train always looks so nice and quite posh in all the adverts I have seen but this was pretty basic in comparison but then again I suppose they are not new anymore.


Brussels itself, well, it's beautiful. 


The architecture was amazing.  Shame the same couldn't be said about the Christmas tree but that is just a minor thing in the grand scheme of things.


The buildings just had so much detail to them, they really were gorgeous.


The markets were OK, nothing I hadn't seen before and I'm not so sure I'd be in a rush to go to another Christmas market, purely for the fact that every one I have been too has been exactly the same as the last, if you get what I'm saying, although the atmosphere was very festive.


It's well worth a visit and with it being Christmas time there was plenty to see and do aside from looking at the buildings.


Of course I had to have a go on the big wheel.


The view from the top was amazing.  And this is just one of the many markets that were dotted around the city.


I also loved how they had lit up many of the big buildings.  I'm a sucker for lights, especially coloured ones.


I'm pretty sure they are only lit up around this time of year, but correct me if I'm wrong.  Either way it really added to the ambiance of the place.


I was reminded of London and New York so many times as we wandered the streets, both  cities that I love.


We stayed for 2 nights and pretty much had 3 full days there which was plenty to get done all that we had intended to do, if anything it may well have been too long, but at least it meant we weren't having to rush around and were able to do everything at a leisurely pace.


It is somewhere I would go back to, but I wouldn't go again round Christmas time, I've done it all so feel I'd benefit more going back at another time of year.  I'd love to take James, he would be in his element with all the different beers.  He is a brewer so you could imagine it can't you.


All in all a great weekend and an even greater start to the festive month.  Only 5 days left till the big day now though, like I said at the start, where is this month going?

~ Gem x

3 comments:

  1. Lovely pics Gem. Yeah Brussels is great isn't it? In fact there are quite a few cities and towns in Belgium worth visiting: Antwerp, Ghent, Bruges, Ypres (hark at me showing off the places I've visited!). xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures! We got 10 inches of snow here last night :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWH great photos! You're right, they dont like up like that the rest of the year. I went in February and went to Brugge too, I much preferred Brugge to be honest but it was an interesting contrast between the two. Looks like it would get you feeling so festive! xx

    ReplyDelete