Friday 30 August 2019

Bath

Having not blogged for seven months I'm now feeling like I have a lot to catch up with.  There's way too much to do a general update so I'm going to publish a number of posts over the next few weeks with what's been going on, starting off with a short break to Bath back in February.


It's a place that holds memories for me from a time in my life where I was very happy, but also a part of my past which I often try not to think about, just because it's easier to try to forget.  I felt really apprehensive about returning and in fact on reflection,  a lot of this year has been about re-visiting places from my past which, at times has felt very difficult and still quite raw but I want to create new memories and to push myself forwards.



The trip turned out to be really lovely, especially returning to the Therme Spa, that place really is such a treat.  I love all the different scented steam rooms, and that rooftop pool, well I could spend hours up there. If ever you are visiting and time allows you to visit I would really recommend it, although aim to get there as early as you can, ideally at opening time as it does get busy and once they reach capacity it then works on a one out one in basis and the queues can get pretty long. 


Of course all of the main sites and tourist attractions of the city were visited.  A visit to Bath would not be complete without stopping by the Roman Baths.  It is hard to imagine how it all must have looked around the area all those years ago but I love how they've introduced the new with the old in the city, it really does work quite well. 


The weather was lovely during the weekend I visited.  It was cold but the sun shone the entire time and it felt like Spring.  It was perfect for walks past the circus and up to the Royal Crescent.  I often wonder who lives in those huge houses and what their lives must be like having people continuously snapping photos of their front doors.  Talk about pressure to keep it looking in tip top condition.  Then again I can't imagine it is cheap to live there so they most likely have staff to do that for them, but I think if it were me I'd much rather do it myself.   



Walks along the river and through the park were also enjoyed.  Finished off with coffee and cake in the cute little tea room inside Pultney Bridge where I finally managed to get one of the tables by the window (*enter smug expression here*).



Another highlight of this trip was the accommodation.  I stayed in an apartment that was literally about a five minute walk from Pultney Bridge (annoyingly I can't remember the name of it right now but I will update this post with the name if I can find it).  It was beautifully decorated and had a great view of the city out the window.  I could literally lay in bed and see the cathedral, it was perfect.  I'd happily stay there again if it's available should I be staying in Bath in the future. 



I'm really glad I returned to this beautiful city and I've no doubt that it won't be my last visit either.  There are more memories to be created there yet.

~ Gem x

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful city. Kevin and I have visited twice but never done the "spa" thing. I guess we'll have to visit again and make that a priority!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a reason for another visit, but then I do love a spa haha xxx

      Delete