Thursday 4 June 2015

Goodreads

I've said it many times before and no doubt there will be many more times that it is said in this little space of mine, I love reading.  I'm not quite sure where my love of books comes from, but I remember as a kid during the summer holidays being excited about going to the library to pick out my next read, getting home and taking the book out into the garden and sitting in a tent and reading for hours.

I'm still very old school.  I don't own a kindle or any other form of reading tablet, nor do I intend to.  I like nothing more than the feel of a real book in my hands, feeling the pages between my fingers, being able to smell those pages as I turn them.  That is something you would never get with a kindle.

Another thing I love about reading is the conversation it can spark, whether it be between 2 friends, a family member, a colleague or a complete stranger.  Talking about the same book, recommending something new, I just love it.

I was part of a book club a few years ago but the group split after about a year.  It gave me the opportunity to read books I wouldn't have otherwise read.  At the time I was working in London and read a lot during my daily commute.  I wish I had as much time now as I did then to read.  i really ought to make more time for it but I can't help but feel guilty just sitting and reading.  I guess that is why I haven't looked into signing up to another  book group, I'm not saying it will never happen, just not yet.  Besides that I have a bookcase full to the brim of books for me to pick up and read, so it would be nice to get those finished first.

This brings me to Goodreads.  Have you heard of it?  Do you use it?  I'm becoming a little bit obsessed with it.  I'm being very good and restrained and haven't yet, notice I use the word YET, bought any more books, but I have been tempted.  There are just so many books out there and this amazing website recommends you books based on what you have read and enjoyed before, plus you can recommend books to others.

I've already begun to find people on there that I know, so if you are on there come over and say Hi (Gem Wilson).  I'd love to see what you have been reading, and who knows there may well be some new little treasures that we could introduce each other too.  Of course you can always leave me a comment on this post too :)

Hope to see you over there.

Love Gem x x

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading "At the Water's Edge" right now. I found it through Goodreads. It's about a couple searching for the Loch Ness monster during the second WW. Very good reading!!

    ReplyDelete