Wednesday 12 November 2014

A Little Piece Of England - Book Review

I was contacted quite some time ago by JJ Books, a small independent press in London, asking if I would be interested in reading a book that they had recently re-published.  A Little Piece of England written by John Jackson, gives his personal perspective of self-sufficiency and country life.


I can see why they thought it may be something of interest to me.  It is most certainly a lifestyle that myself and James are craving.  It's not the type of book I would normally pick up, I'm very much your chick lit kind of girl but I'm always happy to try something new and when reading what JJ Books had to say about it it sounded as though it would be right up my street.

It isn't quite what I was expecting.  I imagined it to be quite a humorous book.  Perhaps it is and just isn't my kind of humour, I'm not sure.  It is certainly an eye opener on how difficult life running a small holding can be and gives you a good insight on the up-hill struggles you will face, as well as the achievements that can be witnessed.  


I like how it doesn't skirt around things.  John hasn't written this to make it sound glamorous.  He tells it as it is, but at times I felt as though it went on a bit.

One thing I did love were the illustrations.  They are so simple, yet so detailed and so effective and the fact that they are just line drawn with a slight bit of shading makes them jump out of the page at you.


I was also quite taken by the titles of each of the chapters.  I really liked how they are related so closely to the chapters, but also because it has taken a bit more imagination than your usual chapter 1, chapter 2, you get where I'm going with this.

I'm annoyed that I didn't enjoy the book more, but that is just my opinion.  James has read it and he really enjoyed it.  In his words when I asked him what he made of it "very good, very, very good"  He found it comical at times, for the right reasons.  He also found it a useful guide for our future, giving more of an idea of what to expect.    


The book was published on the 1st April this year and is available in hardback as well as Kindle and iBook versions.

Gem x x

N.B Although this book was sent to me, these opinions are solely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment