Monday 4 March 2013

Home Sweet Home

So here we are, a month on.  There is still work to be done but we are getting there.  We have settled in nicely and are enjoying everyday life, getting used to the new routine.


So do you fancy a little tour?

First up is the Living Room.


We are wanting to open the fire up.  The place can get pretty cold so this would really help to warm it up on those cold winter evenings.


See that table in the above photo.  £1.99 from a charity shop.  I sanded it down and painted it and am pretty chuffed with how it turned out.  I may have to do a post on all my charity shop buys, there have been quite a few.


The living room is probably one of the rooms that still needs the most work doing to it.  We still need to buy curtains and a light shade for this room but I want to wait until the seat covers are delivered before getting them as the pattern we have gone for is quite fussy. 


I love that every window we look out of there is an incredible view, no matter what the weather is outside.


Now onto the Dining Room.


The work that is needed for this room are the dining chairs.  For the time being I've had to borrow some chairs from my Mum and Dad.   The ones we have bought are in need of being sanded down, painted and re-upholstered.


Oh and you see that there in the background.  Yes we have a dresser *squeal*


This I know is going to take time to get it how I want it to look.  Lots of collecting of pretty pieces.


James has been having a play around with the dresser too, notice the beer bottles haha, now those I'm not so sure about.


I've been displaying my favourite pieces of china.  It feels nice to be able to see it all at last, after being packed away for goodness knows how long.


It's also meant picking up some new bits.  I picked these beauties up from a charity shop for £1.48 each.  It would have been rude not to.

Last stop for today is the guest room.


This room has been used a few times already which has been lovely.


We both fell in love with this 1950's wardrobe which was in the place when we moved in.  It's like something out of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe.


I love the small touches when I visit places, so it's important for me to be able to offer that when we have people to stay.  I'm hoping to get some kind of dressing table in here too at some point, if not then at least something similar.  I've just got to keep my eyes peeled for the right thing.  I know it is out there somewhere waiting for me :)


Another little charity shop bargain.  £5 and just perfect for the guest room.  The only thing missing is some bedtime reading material, keeping my eyes peeled for that too.


There is still more to come, but I'll save that for another day.

~ Gem x

11 comments:

  1. OOOh I want that dresser for my dining room, its lovely. Love your views, quite envious. Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like its all coming together nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo it looks lovely Gem! That dresser is gorgeous (I love James' little touch )I would love a dresser just like that. The guest bedroom looks very welcoming too.

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your new home. It's quite exciting starting out together. Your home is beginning to look like a home. It's a slow process but so worth it in the end x

    ReplyDelete
  5. il est très jolie votre maison!

    Bonne semaine !!

    xxx Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! What a cozy home you are setting up! Isn't it fun to thrift shop and find the perfect items to add warmth to your house? I'm looking forward to seeing more of your cozy nooks as you get more comfortable in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Gem! What a wonderful home you and James are creating, Your dresser looks fab and I love that your are sharing it with James x

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW WOW WOW. So pleased for you and seeing the view through your window made me a little homesick. I love it here and I actually hate the thought that Germany is closing down and we will have to come back but for a minute there I missed the British countryside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's looking so lovely already Gem, I imagine you are having such fun sourcing bits and pieces to make it really homely and truly yours.
    I love that you poked a daffodil in the teapot spout, it really made me smile and definitely something I'd do for kicks :)
    Your dresser is sooo pretty, I'm still undecided about the beer bottles though ;)

    I enjoyed your last post too, daffs everywhere, love their little golden frills. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, its so pretty! I love the views out the windows... And the dresser is lovely!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is absolutely beautiful Gem! Each and every room has been made over with lots of love and care. You have such a good eye and you've made a wonderful, cosy home - it's gorgeous, well done! :)

    ReplyDelete